Monday, April 25, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream 'Cake'

I was  thinking on what dessert to make for our Easter brunch when I came across this blog (Canelle et Vanille). It has the best recipes, pictures and stories too. 

I saw her ice cream recipe and instantly fell in love with it. Too bad we don't have the  time or ingredients to do it so I improvised a little and with the help of my brothers and a Nestle recipe, we came up with this cookies n' cream cake. 

This dessert reminds us of our days in the hospital where we took turns taking care of my eldest brother since he got sick and has to be confined for about a week or so. I decided to make something to make him feel better and saw a cookies and cream recipe in the back of a Nestle Cream box. 

Today's desert is from two inspirations: the one from the Nestle carton and the one from the lovely blog

Cookies n' Cream Ice Cream Cake


      


To make Cookies n’ Cream Ice Cream Cake, you need:



For the crust:
(Note: All measurements are mere estimations only since I don’t have any measuring device here in Manila. I also used a 9-in round pan for this)

Around 3 or 4 cups crushed cookies (we used Cream-O since we like it better than Oreo)
2 tbsp melted butter

For the filling:
(Note: measurements here are already precise)

Nestle All Purpose Cream (750 ml)
Alaska Condensed Milk (250 ml)
Non-fat Milk (250 ml)
5 egg yolks
around 10 cookies, semi crushed
Optional: Sugar (if you have a really sweet tooth)

*  my friend Geline finds it a little bit too creamy but my brothers love creamy stuffs so it depends on your taste. You can adjust the ratio and make it 2:1.5:1.5


Instructions:

For the crust:
1. Combine the crushed cookies and the melted butter
2. Press in the pan and chill until firm

For the filling:
Disclaimer: I basically copied the instructions from Canelle et Vanille blog

1. In a saucepan, combine cream, milk and condensed milk and then bring to a boil.
2. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and add in the egg yolks (if you will use additional sugar, I suggest that you whisk the sugar and the egg yolks first).
3. Put the mixture back and cook stirring constantly until it boils.
4. Let cool, add in the semi crushed cookies and pour into chilled crust.
5. Freeze for several hours and serve J


    GELINE'S VERDICT:

kind of creamy, but 3 thumbs up! it made my day! 
grade : 9/10


     KUYA ITIAN's VERDICT:

okay! thanks, gawa ka uli! *sleeps again*
grade: 11/10 (don't know if he's joking, HAHA)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Bea!!! :) Just by looking at the pictures, I can tell that it taste delicious. You've taken pics just like pro. Overflowing cream makes me crave for it hehe :P Looking forward for your next post :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you <3

    credits to Geline!
    photograohy: Geline Benoza
    editing: tantei-san
    plating: tantei and geline

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol bea :))
    next time, make one in strawberry flavor!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You made these guys? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks yummy! gawan mo ko bei HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete